Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Shopping

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,594 mod
Here's one for anyone who likes shopping.

http://www.livescience.com/13627-shopping-longer-life.html

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    I hate shopping, perheps I need to change of idea.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    So do I Helvio. And it can b a torture here in India when you have to bargain for everything.

That said, I did go out today with the intention of finding a few little pictures that Rajasthan is famous for. I found one that I had rolled up to post back to my mother. I also bought some nice cards that I will send to my sister.

I didn't bother to bargain as I wasn't spending much and the drawings were very fine and the couple that ran the shop were very nice, not at all pushy and had drawn the pictures themselves. In fact the owner even sketched me a beautiful tiger - showing off what a good artist he was in a nice way.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,405 mod
    edited December 2013
    I went shopping yesterday, just food (how do I pronounce "food"? The "oo"s?) shopping.
    I was worried that the supermarket would be very crowded because it was the day before St Nicolas's day, but I was lucky. It wasn't that bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    I just like shopping fore books.The other are wasting the time especially shopping for cloth.I hate to help someone else to buy something.
    In here if you like the shopping there is something that make you to hate it."the cost"
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,594 mod
    Food is a long oo @April.

@Nil, if we all liked the same thing, the shops would be overcrowded. :) PS - shopping for books. http://www.learnenglish.de/homophones/homophone63for.html

Isn't English fun! ;)
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought two pairs of trousers on sale, I really like them because they look nice and are warm at the same time : the lining is made of fleece. Usually you have to choose between warmth and a nice aesthetics but these trousers combine both.
    fashioncafe06.com/united-marshall-college-pantalon-jogging-leopard.htm
    I bought a new pair of jeans this weekend too. The winter sales are on, and they were a bit of a bargain. They're not blue jeans, they're are a dusky pink, and I love them. :D
    A skirt @mheredge?
    Is it a mini? :)
    I rarely wear skirts nowadays.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    The other day I bought a striped blouser in two sizes above my real size. Why, every time I buy a cotton top it shrinks.
    My eldest daughrer saw the size on the tag and didn`t believe what she saw.
    I do the same @Hermine. Invariably cotton shrinks. Bad luck though if it doesn't!

No @april, out here in Sri Lanka though most women wear skirts, they are mostly calf length or even longer. This one comes below the knees. (I can't remember the last time I wore a short skirt! ) :))
    I wear leggings under my skirt or dress.
    Like this for example:

I like them to have feet too, especially in winter @april. But I wouldn't be seen dead wearing leggings under shorts!
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,223 mod
    I wouldn't be seen dead wearing shorts, full stop! Sadly, those days are gone! LOL!
    Not under shorts; only tennis players or football players will wear them when the weather is too cold. :))
    But under skirts or dress or long shirts is alright, no?
    In India for example women wear such clothes?
    I last wore a dress about 8 months ago and before that it was probably a year! But, yes, skirts and dresses are OK so long they are not too short! Even in the original mini-skirt days, I only wore one about half a dozen times! I just felt too conspicuous!
    Only in my twenties I was courageous enough to wear mini-skirts and in my old age I only wear mini if it is a tennis outfit. :))
    edited January 2014
    Shorts that do down to just below the knees? Do they count as shorts? I still wear these as they're usually more practical than a skirt in hot climes.

@april, in India women usually wear very baggy cotton trousers under their tunics. Sometimes the trousers are quite close fitting around the shins to the ankles, but the upper part is loose. Young girls are adopting the habits of westerners though. They can often be seen wearing skin-tight leggings. Somehow it doesn't look quite right as the tunics are normally quite short.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @mheredge no, those shorts are fine. I meant short shorts!
  • shopping is a bet fun if you were with a person of shared interest ......i usually go shopping for what ever i need with my sister..ofcourse 30 minutes shopping and 4-5 hours wandering around laughing like crazy and sometimes dancing right in the middle of the street (with no music on :P)....thankfully no one knows you in the city so LETS ROCK IT
    Do you mean "hot pants" @Amatsu?
    Has anybody ever recorded your act and put it on YouTube Aamhiad? :)
  • not sure.but i don't think if i knew that there is 'll let it ..... and AAMHIAD is my initials so all capitals not first only ..:P
    Hi AAMHIAD,

Dare I ask what the initials stand for?

Here's a bonus correction:-

Shopping is the best fun if you are with a person who shares your interests.

I usually go shopping for whatever I need with my sister. Of course we spend 30 minutes actually shopping, and 4-5 hours wandering around laughing like crazy and sometimes dancing right in the middle of the street (with no music).

Thankfully no one knows you in the city so LET'S ROCK IT!
    Sorry @AAMHIAD, I'll keep it in mind. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    thanks....well..it stands for Anas Atef >> .. ...so basically full name ..,,..
    Hotpants were another trend that passed me by @amatsu. I think they've gone around the houses too, as I recall hotpants being hot when I was a kid. They were fine on children but adults? Com on, grow up! A few years ago they came back for a while.
    I'm not wearing them now. I didn't wear them then. I won't wear them in the future. :D
    Totally agree @Lynne. Okay for little children though.

I went shopping for some veggies to cook up for dinner. I was amazed at how much I bought for 150 rupees (less that a pound): 3 big tomatoes, 3 little onions, a head of garlic, a handful of two kinds of green beans, a small aubergine, a couple of medium sized pimentoes, 200g of lentils, 4 or 5 medium sized potatoes, a few spring onions and a medium sized carrot. This will keep me going for a few days!

This discussion has been closed.