Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Clever quotes

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,802 mod
This discussion was created from comments split from: most beautiful sentences.

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    "What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth. (Or keyboard)"

Anonymous
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”
    ― Maurice Switzer

I have to practice that one more :smile:
    edited July 2014
    @zapppsr‌ - I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.
    -

Theodore Isaac Rubin

And...

A mother takes twenty years to make a man of her boy, and another woman makes a fool of him in twenty minutes.

Robert Frost
  • komikomi Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    "Work like you do not need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like no one is watching."
    Randall G Leighton
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405 mod
    If you don't know what you're doing - don't do it.

Excellent advice - should be printed on all heavy machinery.
    Kevin Spacey

"The audience has spoken. They want stories. They're dying for stories. And if you give them what they want, they will talk about it, carry it around with them, share it, and enjoy it with a passion and an intensity that blockbusters can only dream about."
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    Reckoned to be the most quoted movie is Casablanca, 1942, the Humphrey Bogart/Ingrid Bergman love story.

Watch out though, the classic quote “Play it again, Sam” is a misquotation – it’s actually “Play it, Sam – play As Time Goes By”).

Five other popular quotes from the movie are: “We’ll always have Paris”, “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship”, “Here’s looking at you, kid”, “Round up the usual suspects”, and “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
    "Do not call the world dirty because you forget to clean your glasses."
    Unknown author
    "I trust the dirt. I don't trust diamonds and gold." Eartha Kitt
    "The important thing to remember is that no single person can do everything." Nelson Mandela
  • SaraSara Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    @zapppsr‌ a fool won't be wise enough to hide behind the beauty of quitquietness.
    “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.” I like that @zapppsr‌. And I agree @Sara, a fool is not wise enough to keep quiet!

I'm not sure what quitquietness is though.
  • spawnintegrityspawnintegrity Posts: 78 ✭✭
    "What is the best way of communicating today?
    -Television?
    -No.
    -Telegraph?
    -No.
    -Telephone?
    -No.

-Tell a woman. :D "

from Bunker Roy TED speech Edinburgh July 2011
    Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax. Abraham Lincoln
  • spawnintegrityspawnintegrity Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    "Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." or
    "God created men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Colt post-civil war slogan

Let arrogant people deal each other with guns. We are all equal already.

---------------------------

Let arrogant people deal with each other with guns. We are all equal already.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a new ending.

Francisco Cândido Xavier - Chico Xavier
    "Most people know the difference between saying something nice and saying something nasty.” Edwina Currie
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    While reading last quote I expected "saying something nice and saying something nicely". It would have been an interesting quote as well.
    Can you say something nasty nicely? @SLB :wink:
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I think that SLB need to put an image on his avatar space, that would be more fast to identify him" (her?)

Helvio Franco

(sorry SLB, I don't know if you are a boy or a girl) :#
    @Lynne‌ probably not ROFL, but some types of statements can sound disrespectful and even offensive if you're not careful how you state them.
    @Helvio‌ I do have an avatar image, but to see it clearly you need to change your browser settings. I might change it soon, but don't expect to be as cool and original as yours.
    I didn't include my gender in my profile, so you shouldn't apologize for not knowing if I'm a guy or a girl.
    I'm a bloke.
    You have to be careful @SLB, as depending on the tone of voice you use, the same words can take a very different meaning.
    And the choice of words also matters a lot.
    Hi @SLB‌ .
    A bloke ?
    @komi‌ yes, a bloke
    Bloke is a bit casual, colloquial for a guy @SLB. "The blokes were all singing rugby songs..."
    and what's the equivalent for a woman? @mheredge‌
    That's a difficult one @SLB as most terms are rather derogatory towards women. But it would be okay to refer to a group of women as 'gals' or 'girls' and this would be fine.
    How about in Essex?
    I did not had idea what it means when you wrote word " bloke" , @SLB‌ . My mistake.
    The real question is: What does the word " bloke" means?.
    Anyway, thanks for answering so fast.
    I found this!
    Chap: a boy or man; "that chap is your host"; "there's a fellow at the door"; "he's a likable cuss"; "he's a good bloke"
    ?