Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Health and safety

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,539 mod
edited July 2014 in Work and Money
Two guys, standing on a table under a doorway, have been extracting a metal window frame from the top of a door frame in the office of the college. Sparks were flying right across the room. The guy wielding his welding machine had goggles, but his companion standing nearby didn't (not sure why he had to stand so close). It was rather spectacular. A bit like an indoor firework display.

I'm not sure but I guess anywhere where health and safety meant anything, everyone working in the office would have had to leave or the work done out of office hours. The poor office administrator is having to sweep up the mess.

Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    Here in Brazil, despite all regulations, construction sites are very often stage of predictable accidents.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    Buildings in India don't seem all that safe even when completed. It's scary seeing them when they're going up too. Bamboo scaffolding, no safety helmets....
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    And this is mu 50 Post. Is it a record? it has been only 3 days I joined the forum...
    Am I addicted to it? :smile:
    Be careful not to overdo it @zapppsr‌. All things in moderation!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,828 mod
    edited July 2014
    Germany's not much better, which is a bit of a surprise really. I think it's only the UK and the USA who are paranoid about H&S, probably because people will sue you at the drop of a hat.

Maybe bosses in Brazil and India need to watch this video (not for the squeamish):-

If you need something a bit more lighthearted after that:-

Operator error! A good workman never blames his tools.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I live in Brazil too and agree with @zapppsr‌. We had several "accidents" during the stadiums construction.

And right before the World Cup Final, an overpass collapsed killing two.

Regulations in Brazil doesn't mean much.
    I don't think the health and safety record at the building site for the stadium in Qatar has been that good either @xaxa. Like Lynne says, I'm not sure H&S regs mean much to anyone outside the US and UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    @mheredge‌, that's true.
    The cows aren't making it any easier here. Yesterday, as well as climbing over rubble and cement, there was also a mountain of cow dung in the middle of it all. They are 'street' cows and make a mess everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.