Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you want to learn English?

SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in A Question of English
I didn't mean for this to be a post. I was making a draft and pressed the Enter key expecting it would let me add a new tag, but instead it published the post. So if you're a moderator and think this is inappropriate, feel free to delete it, since I can't take it back myself.

What's your preferred method/approach to learn English?
What do you think is the funniest/easiest way to learn?
What do you expect when you learn English?
How much time do you spend daily to learn English?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Yes Hermine! When we can do it, taking part in "what's really played" is more beneficial than any teachers' classes or sessions.
  • s_rath27s_rath27 Posts: 3
    through conversation
  • FiliFili Posts: 1
    through conversation and listening
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    I want to learn English through the 5 disciplines:

:: - Reading
    :: - Writing
    :: - Listening
    :: - Speaking
    :: - Use of Language (Grammar)

I do a lot of reading and listening, which you can do by yourself. On the other hand, writing and speaking require interactions.

I think one thing that would help me to keep up is the speaking sessions in Skype.
    I just need to adjust because of the timezone difference. Maybe on weekends.

See you guys!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,585 mod
    @zapppsr‌ - Unfortunately we don't really do weekend sessions on Skype, but if you get to know other members, I'm sure some of them will be happy to chat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    It seems that the biggest need of everyone who is learning English is the writing/speaking part.

That makes sense, once you need others to help you.

I read and listen a lot in English, but I don't have many chances to speak and write, which makes me understand someone talking to me, but I can't answer back.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    hi I am from China, my name is chengshuyu. I was a college student, majoring in professional window display. I want to start from zero to learn English, make friends from all over the world, expand my horizons, learning about different cultures. I want to spend an hour a day to learn English. Join my Facebook: 陈舒予
  • Hi guys! My basic rule of learning English is "learn for fun". I mean, I always try to play with English instead of being so serious. In fact, my listening and speaking have improved a lot when I sing along my favorite songs or watch movies. In addition, I usually spend my free time reading Anthony Robbin's books or watching his video on Youtube. By these way, I not only better my English, but also motivate myself to be more active and positive. One more last thing, I love chatting with my friends in English.
    You can try all these ways. Effective and fun! LOL!
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    @SarahNguyen‌ I think that's the best way to do it!
  • SendaltulSendaltul Posts: 16 ✭✭
    What's your preferred method/approach to learn English?
    What do you think is the funniest/easiest way to learn?
    R/: I will answer these two because they are pretty much the same for me
    the way i learnt english was using material i was interested in, so in my early
    years leaning english was playing my lovely video games, and i was stuck in a town
    they wanted me to do something, but i didnt know what to do, everything was in
    english !!!! what a trouble !!!!, so i started using a dictionary and looking word
    by word and tryign to understand, ( I KNOW NOT THE BEST METHOD ) but hey !!
    it got the job done, i managed to get out of the town !!! hahahah

ahhh.... anyways this little story is to tell you, that you should look for something
    you really like and look for that in english, say a novel, a tv-show, or games like
    me, after that i started looking at videos on youtube that were related to
    videogames and i found this guy, at first i didnt understand that much, but
    with the time i managed to understand him, and when i tried to listen to other
    person it was like OMG WHY I CANT UNDERSTAND!!!!, that was because i got used
    to the voice and tone of that guy, but yeah, as with everything, eventually i
    managed to improve and understand other people.

What do you expect when you learn English?
    R/: At first? well to be honest i just wanted to understand, like when they are
    speaking and you dont know what they are saying?? you know that feeling???

But now i dont really hope for anything, its just something that i enjoy, what do i
    expect? well i enjoy "learning" so anything "new" is amazing for me =), that feel
    that you are improving its priceless.

How much time do you spend daily to learn English?
    R/: Hard question, i spend as much as i can, i mean sometimes i got this feel like
    why do i have to speak my native tongue you know?, THIS SHOULD BE IN ENGLISH
    but yeah, in my dayily life most things i do is in english, reading, tv, etc... but
    that gets slowed down becuase where i live english is not the language.

Now regarding other stuff why i am here?

Well at my college they updated this law, so now everyone MUST study english, like it or not, but hey that isnt a trouble for me right? well if you read all that wall of text through here you should know i like english. So.... what is the problem???

Ahhhh... now you will see what the problem is....

In my college rules you have to see 16 courses of english, so yeah, they put me in
    in level 1 hahaha, well that was not that great, so i was a little pissed off, so i went to speak with the girl that attends that kind of issuses and told her that i know english, of course she didnt believe me and looked at me like "omg this guy just doenst want to study get out of here !!! "

Ok i am sorry this is getting way too long, in short, i did the test, and out of the 16 levels i got in 17. so basically i dont have to see any english class at all.

But why it bothers me ?, well because in my personal point of view my english its still pretty weak and bad, wrong, what ever the word you want to put there.

Also they didnt evaluate the speaking part, i dont know in other places in the world, but how does a test doesnt look after how well can you do in speaking? i mean like... wow seriusly.

So to finish my story, i come here in look to IMPROVE my english, because i want to, i am motivated i want to someday to have a native accent and fluency, which i do not have rigth now, as you can tell by my poor grammar. I am looking forward for skype speakign sessions.

Thank you very much, been a long journey to writte all this.

Hace a nice day !!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    I recommend the BBC Learn English website for listening practice in particular. They have some very useful podcasts that you can listen to online or download.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/index.shtml
  • SendaltulSendaltul Posts: 16 ✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > I recommend the BBC Learn English website for listening practice in particular. They have some very useful podcasts that you can listen to online or download.
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/index.shtml

I want to have a real time conversation, thats where i want to improve.

Let me know what i have to do, or for how long i have to prove myself so i can access to the skype sessions.

Thank you, good day !!
    Have you looked at the Forum's Skype sessions @Sendaltul‌?
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    > @Fili said:
    > through conversation and listening

how you going to learn here through conversation and listening?
  • Hi everyone! I think the best way to learn English is to write and talk... I'm too passive!!! No surprise, I'm here to talk and write with you guys, about all and nothing at the same time!
    Writing may be a "passive" way of learning, but I think talking isn't.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SillyLittleBleeder I am too lazy. I would like English just to jump into my head in sleep. But this will never happen. :( :( :(
  • My preferred method of learning English , is the audio visual method. That is the way the children learn to talk their mother tongue. Unfortunately, during high school , our English teachers taught us only grammar. So my English speaking is poor. When I learn English I expect to understand different accents , to speak and to write perfectly.
    Xanthippe said:

I would like English just to jump into my head in sleep.

Maybe that's how people will learn in the future!

@minoosh‌ audio-visual method? I call it the natural method!
  • By audio visual, I mean watching movies and video clips Xanthippe. Do you call it natural method?
    @minoosh‌ I think you meant to mention me.
    I thought speaking was included in the audio-visual method.
    Calling it the "natural" method may be an overstatement, but this method is the closest to reality, because that's what you do in real life: speak, listen and watch the world.
    Speaking and listening, reading and writing - surely all are active in the sense you have to do something!
  • BreakBreak Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm still learning English at school. Additionally, I learn grammar and vocabulary at home.
    @mheredge‌ When you speak and listen, you're interacting with people and the world in a natural, real time fashion. I think that's what's meant by "active"
    Reading and writing are more of a personal thing, and more importantly, if you don't understand something or if you made a mistake, you can always go back and try again, as many times as you want. That's why I think it's not as "active" as speaking and listening
    True @SillyLittleBleeder‌. Especially in class, where reading can be very passive. In one ear and out the other sometimes!