Learn English Forum
In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-
LEN English sessions:-
Listening Practice 24/7
English radio playlists:-
Re: LEN Kind of Nice Idioms With Kindg Nice
Here's the 2nd episode summary of what we've discussed last Sunday (May 20, 2017)...
9. Bite off more than you can chew - to attempt to take on a task that is too much for you to handle.
: I got lots of tasks to do in my company, everyone wanted it finish as soon as possible, but I didn't bite off more than I could chew since I only have two hands and one brain.
10. Scratch someone’s back - help someone out with the assumption that they will return the favor in the future.
: In the college class one student is always doing flattery of their teacher. His classmates know that he will definitely get good marks by scratching his teacher's back.
11. prep up - To prepare
: I have to prep up my application forms before submitting them to Japan's embassy.
12. pan out - turn out well
: I have applied to Japanese universities and I hope it will pan out well.
13. so to speak - as they say.
: Filipinos love to sing in Karaoke, so to speak.
14. Kill two birds with one stone - to do two things at the same time using the effort needed to do only one.
: I killed two birds with one stone and saw some old friends while I was in Louisiana visiting my parents.
15. Pot calling kettle black - a situation in which one person criticizes another for a fault they have themselves
: Ernie accused me of being selfish. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
16. by all means - certainly.
: I'm pretty sure Zaiymurs will ace the Graphics Design Exam, by all means.
17. It's not a rocket science - you do not think an activity is difficult at all.
: Playing chess is not a rocket science.
18. grain of salt - to view something with skepticism or not to interpret something literally
: David blabbers very much. Any sane person would take his advice with a grain of salt.
19. drop by - Go to drop around
: Kindg dropped by to Lynne's house to give his surprise present.
20. Like a million dollar - to look or feel extremely good, often because you are wearing something that costs a lot of money.
: You look like a million dollars in that dress, honey!
Thanks for joining the sessions folks! See you again next time!
1. Bring your notebooks with you to jot down the words we discuss in our sessions.
2. Prepare your idioms before the session starts.
Re: New members - Introductions
Don't worry we have lots of learners including me who want to speak well English.This forum is really helpful.
Re: How do you manage your time and tasks every day?
I am going to have to start writing lists
as I'm feeling a bit
Re: Take 3 words Game 96
Why do I get the guilt for losing of his total empty worn out purse?
Why do I feel guilty for losing his totally empty, worn out purse?
Re: Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.
On 27 May 1968 started in West Germany the process with the chemical company Grünenthal, the maker of the drug Softenon. Softenon was marketed in the late 1950s as a remedy for morning sickness. It was prescribed for very many pregnant women. After a number of years, it found that in babies, severe birth defects occurred when the mother had used it for a certain period of pregnancy. Infant babies had missing or underdeveloped limbs. This discovery sparked shock in the medical and pharmaceutical world and, as a result of this scandal, the requirements for new medicines have become considerably tightened, and pregnant women are still advised to minimize the use of medicines during pregnancy. About 15000 babies have suffered damage to Softenon worldwide. The trial lasted nine years and ended with 200 million mark of damages.
Re: Think positively
Every person has negative thoughts at certain times in his life and it's as
"This makes me survive"
. But I think you can survive, alone if negative thoughts turn to positive. So you should not see a failure as the end of the world but as the force for a new beginning. But this usually requires a fight with yourself, which means that you must defeat the enemy against yourself.
You will be signed out in
seconds due to inactivity.
Click here to continue using the site.
Powered by Vanilla